Thursday, March 1, 2012

Michel Hazanavicius knows what he is doing

When I first heard about The Artist, I thought the idea of a modern day, black and white, silent film was interesting but not something that would be incredibly entertaining. I was dead wrong. This movie won 5 Academy Awards, including best picture, but what really impressed me about it was how it took film, more specifically, a wide release film, and made it back into a respectable art form. Lately, with the sudden fad of 3D movies and the entertaining movies that are bled dry by the many sequels following them, film has been very much about making money and not taking risks. As I look at the film department here at Albright College, it is run by older men who despise big money movies because they destroy film as an art form, and I think Michel Hazanavicius (Director of The Artist) felt this way too. His film is not only respected by the academy but a piece of art that can be respected by artists everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment